Friday, June 20, 2008

Should I vaccinate my baby?

Article from CNN yesterday.... http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/family/06/19/ep.vaccines/index.html

"It's not entirely clear what family history would put your child at risk for vaccine problems, but Frances Page Glascoe, a professor of pediatrics at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, says parents should look back at least ask the question."

"I would look at Mom, Dad, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins who had developmental disabilities, including language disorders and autism spectrum disorder," she said. If parents find such a family history, "that would cause me to discuss an alternative vaccination schedule."

Jon Poling, Hannah's father, says it's clear to him now that he should have been more wary.
"We have autoimmune disorders on both sides of the family, and Hannah had multiple febrile infections with ear infections and horrible trouble with eczema," he said. "All of those are red flags that a child is at risk." end quote.

Some other red flags are history of allergies and asthma. I know on my husband's side there are some severe allergies, and on my side of the family more of intolerances. Of course, on his side, there are more family members so it it easier to notice more things. Kind of a blessing when it comes to science though.

But what about learning disabilities or delays? I am not sure how many of Grant's 70 cousins has a LD - statisically the AAP says that 1 in 6 has a learning disability. That would make over 10 cousins with a LD - Wirthlins and Williams included. I am not sure the exact numbers- I am sure most mothers are not sharing this kind of information too openly. Here is a chart I found that lists what milestones children should be meeting and when.

http://www.brighttots.com/Age_appropriate_development.html

Now I have an idea of what a delay might be.

I just like to stay current with the latest news. Medicine is like everything else and is constantly changing. Try to be informed on what you consent to as a consumer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...