Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nourishing herbs for pregnancy...

My first little stinker was a colicky baby and I had a lot of random things go wrong during my pregnancy. This time around I am educated and more aware of how to take care of my body during pregnancy to avoid little complications and colicky babies. I have read countless books on nourishing herbs during pregnancy and afterwards. Here is a list of the herbs I am taking during this pregnancy. I have not started the teas because it is too hot in Florida, maybe when it cools off. I take these herbs in capsule form for now. These are very safe and healthy for pregnant women. They are full of vitamins and minerals.

1. Alfalfa leaf- vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, D, E and K, antifungal, nourish the liver, activate the kidneys, suppress inflammation, address digestive disorders, and balance blood sugar. I will cut back on this herb a few weeks before delivery because it increases milk supply- which I do not need in the beginning :)

2. Nettle-one of the most nutritious herbs, great for people who ordinarily don't absorb nutrients very well (like me), blood builder (anemics), calcium, iron, mangnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, sulfur, zinc, copper, chlorophyll, fatty acids, folate, Vit K, B1, B2, B3, B5, C, and E. Affinity for kidneys (kidney stones), natural antihistamine, may improve hay fever, allergic asthma, and other allergic conditions.

3. oat-straw-proteins, vitamins, minerals, and trace elements that nourish the nerves, support the metabolism of fats, and uplift the spirit. Take oats after birth to increase milk production.

4. Kelp- Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, Iodine, Vit B1, B2, B12, Vit K

5. Red raspberry leaf-I started this herb slowly. I started after my first trimester. Tones the uterus, and prevents hemorrhaging during birth. Full of calcium, phosphorus, Vit A, B1, Vit E. Given during childbirth to strengthen and speed delivery. Given after childbirth to bring on the milk and make it richer.

I had 4 kidney stones at 20 weeks pregnant last time. So far- no kidney stones. We will see if this keeps! Hopefully :)

Throughout the beginning of this pregnancy my hair kept falling out- not lots, but more than it should. My last pregnancy this did not happen. I knew I was lacking some Vitamin. Each time I had my hair done the hairstylist would comment on how I should be taking more vitamins to prevent this. Nothing worked. I started taking the nettles and a few days later I had no hair falling out. Unbelievable. I guess my body was not absorbing something properly. Just a few of my experiences so far.

Disclaimer- Always check with your healthcare provider. I never take high doses of any herb - all in moderation. :)

4 comments:

Brooke said...

thanks for the tips Kaley!

Lucky Me said...

All very interesting info. You're my little book of knowledge :0) By the way, I love the pics. on your blog. Classic!

Mommymita said...

Nice - I've been doing them all but I think I'll add the Nettle.

Sarah said...

i love that you posted about this... i'm totally going to take these the next time around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...