Monday, December 28, 2009

Garrett James Wirthlin

We finally decided on a name. Garrett is not a family name, but James comes from my grandfather's first name. We are not planning on doing all G names... at least for now.

As many of you know I had little Garrett early Christmas morning. My planned homebirth was successful. I am glad that everything worked out for the best. We are lucky to have a very calm newborn. The difference btw Grant and Garrett is remarkable. It was definetly not easy and I don't know if I would do it again, but for now I am happy with the outcome.

So Christmas Eve John and I went to dinner at Outback with my parents. Of course I had been having contractions all day long. Even at Outback I was pretty uncomfortable. We get home and John goes to bed. I started timing contractions from 9-11 pm and they were pretty consistent. Every 4-6 minutes and they seemed to be getting stronger. My mom is like- call the midwives- of course I was kind of embarressed and didn't want to have another false start. I mean it was Christmas Eve- what are the chances. I felt bad for the midwives already. So I call them and tell them to start heading down. By now the contractions were very strong and painful and I had regretted not calling them earlier. I was cringing in pain. So they get here at 12:30 am and start to set up the birth tub. I was dying to get in the water. That was suppose to be my pain relief. They get the tub set up by about 1:15 and I delivered 45 min later. I was bummed that I was not able to relax more, but it was kind of my fault for not calling them earlier. It took 2 pushes to get the head out and 1 for the body. He did come out with his right hand up on his face, just like Grant...which is why my transition took a little longer than usual. It was a pain that I surely don't want to remember anytime soon. It was pretty awful :) Go figure right? I did tear unfortunately, because he presented 2 parts not one- head and hand. Now I was told that my chances of having 2 babies do that was so rare- and the midwives had only seen a few babies deliver that way. I guess I am a cursed birther! Oh well...that was the biggest disappointment for me- his delivery presentation.

He was perfect in every way. I held him immediately and he just looked up at me and was so calm and quiet. All the pain did go away... like everyone says. They weighed him and measured him and did all the newborn stuff.

My recovery was not so good though- I had a few complications that they got under control pretty quickly. I learned a lot about myself and how my body reacts to shock- which happens after that kind of trauma. It took awhile for me to get my blood pressure up and I guess I inherited my mother's fainting syndrome. It did take me 24 hours before I could get out of bed and even now I am still having a hard time walking around and doing normal stuff. It is day 3 and I am trying to rest as much as possible. I lost half my pregnacy weight within a day and now my body is just trying to stabilize again.

I loved that I was already at home and able to rest in my own bed and eat my own food right after. I am so glad I did not have to try to get in the car or anything like that. Of course, I have an amazing support system....my mom, sister, and John who have helped tremendously. I couldn't have done it without them. Garrett is a really calm baby, and loves to sleep in the car seat- such a good boy. He has been so easy thus far... we will see what the future holds.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

congrats! i'm so glad you got to do it the way you wanted, that always makes it nice :) i'm sorry to hear about the complications, but glad you are doing better. i'm so happy Garrett is a calm baby, i'm sure it makes things easier with Grant. how are you adjusting to two kids? i'm a little nervous to have two, but i think it will be ok :)

G.O. Garrison said...

Wow!! Props to you on your home-birth! I was born at home so I always think I am going to go natural for my first baby. We will see how I am feeling though when I am close to having a baby. ha! You go girl!

Bree said...

Congrats I am so excited for you, we need to play as soon as you are feeling up to it.

Unknown said...

Kaley, I loved reading your birth story. I have had 3 amazing natural births at birth centers, and am pregnant with #4 and plan on a homebirth this time. Your family is beautiful, and I love reading about all your natural leanings, we have a ton in common these days! Best of luck adjusting to 2 littles, it is a fun ride! Seems like you have a ton of help, which will prove invaluable!

Super B said...

Kaley!! My sis in law told me you had posted about your home birth. The last time we had talked I didn't realize you had decided to do one!!! I am SO HAPPY for you! I am so glad that it went well. I would love to do a home birth. I am glad you are feeling better too. Garrett is definitely cute and I hope all is well!

Lucky Me said...

Kaley! That sounds like a really great birth. Way to go. So glad to hear that you guys are doing so well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...